Unit 2 Simple Past
Unit 3 Progressive Verb Tenses
UNIT 4 FUTURE - BE GOING TO & WILL
UNIT 5 - MODALS
UNIT 6 - MORE MODALS
1 of 3

1. True or False – Could

Carefully read the passage again. Then do the exercise that follows

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Screen-Shot-2020-07-06-at-6.54.13-PM.png

Thiago here again! I asked my classmates what they could do when they were children and what they can do now that they are adults. Here is what they told me:

Amelia: “When I was young, I couldn’t drink alcohol. But now I am 21 years old, so I can drink beer in bars and nightclubs. I couldn’t stay out late when I was young because my parents didn’t allow me to. Now I live in my own apartment, and I can do whatever I want to do.

Viktor: “When I was a child, I couldn’t swim. I was scared of the water. I couldn’t even go near a pool. But when I was in high school, my family moved near the ocean and I learned how to swim. Now I can swim very fast.”

Eduardo: “I could run for many kilometers when I was a child and not get tired. I could run faster than all of my friends. Now I’m older and don’t like to exercise, so I can’t run very far or very fast.”

Sun-Hee: “I could speak French when I was younger. I studied it for many years in school. Now I can only remember a few words, so I can’t speak French anymore. I need to practice and study it again so I can go to France and speak to French people.”

In the next exercise choose true or false for each statement about the reading passage.

Click on the link below to view exercise.