Unit 1: This is English Grammar
UNIT 2: I AM A STUDENT
Unit 3: What is it?
Unit 4: CAN YOU DO IT?
UNIT 5: IT'S A FACT!
1 of 3

1 – Grammar: “A” or “An”

Use “a/an” in front of singular nouns. This shows there is only one of an item (thing). Use “a” for nouns that start with a *consonant sound. Use “an” for nouns that start with a *vowel sound. Don’t use a/an” when the noun is plural. Look at the chart below.

*Consonants: b, c, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, p, q, r, s, t, v, w, x, z (“y” in words such as “yes” and “yellow)
Vowels: a, e, i, o, u (“y” in words such as “fly” and “city”)

A. Write ‘a’ or ‘an’ in front of the singular nouns. Do not write anything in front of the plural nouns.

Part I example: AN umbrella ; flowers – remember plural nouns have NO articles)

1. _____ woman
2. ______ book
3. _______ cars
4. ______ apple
5. ______ orange
6. _____ desks
7. ______ island
8. ______ computer
9. ______ airport
10. ______ house

B. Read the paragraph below and fill in the blanks with either a, an, or leave blank if no articles are necessary.

A month ago, there was ______ new coffee shop that was built in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. The new coffee shop included ______ few interesting items such as nitro coffee beer, which you could get on draft after 5pm on weekdays and served all day on weekends. New customers claim _____ coffees are all fair-trade, organic and top quality, especially the new lavender iced latte with oat milk. _____ Customers have also noted that the breakfast menu is wonderful and includes their famous ricotta toast with pepper jelly! So, go by and grab _____ iced or hot lavender latte paired with _______ avocado toast or _____ ricotta toast!

Click NEXT at the bottom left of the page to check your answers