Look at the idioms below and study their meanings.
Look at the example below. The nouns are in a circle and the verbs are underlined.
Look at the next group of words. Write your own sentences for each new word and identify it as a noun or verb.
Read the passage then answer the True or False questions without looking back.
Now use the vocabulary words/phrases from the passage in the sentences below. Make sure you use the correct form of the word in each sentence.
The words or phrases below are in the passage, “An Unusual Fortune-Teller.”
• Scan through the passages to find out what part of speech (P.S.) the words and phrases are.
• Write the part of speech on the line beside the new vocabulary word.
• Use the context clues in the passage to match the definition on the right. Do not use your dictionary!
- Do you believe animals have special abilities? Do you think animals know when someone is sick or in trouble? Explain.
- Have you ever had a pet who acted differently when something was wrong, such as when you were sick or right before an earthquake? Explain.
- Have you ever experienced the death of someone in your family? Do you think people give signals or appear different when they are ready to die?
Use the vocabulary words/phrases from the passage in the sentences below. Make sure you use the correct form of the word in each sentence.
- I’m going to study hard for my test this weekend. If I study enough, it is ________ that I will pass the test on Monday.
- The leader of the tour group _________ everyone through the zoo. He made sure to point out the most interesting animals as he led the group.
- My cousin asked me a lot of questions about my experience in the US. She is coming to LA next year, and she is very _______ about what she will find.
- There are benefits to exercising: you can lose weight and build muscle. ______, you usually have more energy after you work out.
- Bob is such a(n) ___________! He never has anything nice to say about anyone.
- I believed that man when he said he needed money to buy food. When I saw him buy alcohol with the money instead, I realized that he _______ me.
- If you show me a doctor’s note, I will __________ that you were sick, and I will give you more time to finish the assignment.
- Your friends have a lot of __________ over you. Many people change the
music they listen to, the clothes they wear, or the activities they do because of their friends’ opinions.
- I _______ that our team will win the game tomorrow. They practiced a lot
every day for the past two weeks, so I know they are ready.
- This woman _________ to know Donald Trump. She said they meet once or
twice a month to have lunch.
Click “Next >” at the bottom left of the page to check your answers.
- Are you interested in knowing your future? Do you want to know if something bad is going to happen to you?
- Do you believe that there are people who have the ability to see the future?
- Are you a positive or negative thinker? Do you think people’s words and ideas can change another person’s thoughts and actions?